Friday, January 7, 2011

What is the issue?

So you might ask what is my struggle.  Is it really a struggle enough to write a blog about?  I am not sure.  So you can decided for yourself.  I have an 11 yr old daughter, Riley, who has allergies.  I guess allergies is a weird word, when I hear it I think of hay fever, when you hear it you might think swollen, but when my daughter hears it she thinks "my life."
Her life is this...She can not breathe air fresh enough.  Most foods she eats will compromise her digestion and therefore her health.
Riley is environmentally allergic to cats,dogs, trees, grass, weeds, dust, dust mites, some flowers, some bushes, any pollen,  Anything floating in the air.  A reaction can be anything from sneezing to her throat swelling as she breathes, causing asthmatic distress.  She has many food allergies also.  That list is: Wheat, dairy, sugar, chicken eggs, yeast, preservatives, soy, goat milk, oats, spelt, rye, salmon, iodized salt, thyme, potatoes, tomatoes, paprika, and pineapple to name a few.  These reactions can range from itchy hands and blisters on her head to hives the size of a paper plate or even swollen organs causing them to not work properly and a skin rash that resembles ground beef, to the worse reaction that is a 105 fever and vomiting for 5 days.  Just think of the implications of these allergies...She has been in the hospital many times, she has missed an average of 14 days of school each year, and physical activities are hard for her to compete, eating out at a restaurant is next to impossible.  All the while she is 11 years old!
That is her life.  Working around obstacles, finding a way to live strong and persevere in the midst of trail and all the while trying to find JOY in her life.
I would like to bring your thoughts now to her mother.  She has to clean the house, find cleaning supplies that will not set off an asthma attack, prepare food she can eat (any everyone else in the house), sit with her daughter and cry with her because she can not go to a birthday party and eat cake and ice cream, help her work through not being a victim to circumstance,  find the right doctor who can help for eat different thing she has wrong, and she has to find a way to do it all on a budget designed for a family who is  unemployed.  Do you see my struggle yet?
At our house we have a motto. "FINISH STRONG"  How do we do that?  We see it as an option to learn as much as we can and put as much of it to use as possible.  That is the silver lining.  I have learned many "useless" facts while caring for my daughter.  We have tried products and have opinions of them to pass on.  We have learned new techniques (old techniques that are not in practice by many people today), and we have learned how to substitute all kinds of things.  That is where you come in.  I would like to offer this information to you in this blog.  Now you can understand "my struggle, your gain".  I don't want anyone to feel alone.  I spent many hours alone wondering "what do I do?"  I would like to share my story in hopes that you may feel support and know that you are not alone.
I am looking forward to sharing this time with you and I am really grateful that you are willing to listen to what I have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment